Saturday, August 4, 2007

I Ain't No Quitter, Damn It!

At the far end of the Greenbelt, sitting on a bench at the top of the Hill of Life (HOL), I am beat. Only 7.5 miles into a 15 mile run & I am looking for excuses to get a ride back to the start, skipping the final miles of trail. I only mention this to 2 folks, Carrie & Abe. Carrie, who is coaching the Pikes Peak group with me & has brought the water out to the HOL calls me a choice name but quickly adds that she too is a slacker. I agree with her...I saw her moseying down the trail after what could not have been more than a 30 min jaunt with her two dogs, George & Jack. At this point at the top of the hill all I could think of was coffee & the taste of a Trailer Park taco, trashy style. Then I think of Ruth...here is a optimal time to steal extra distance toward our Tussle in Tahoe! This doesn't seem to work as a motivator, either. I know it will after a few months & as we get closer to Bandera & Tahoe, but right now, at the beginning of this journey, I couldn't give a flying rat's ass. Finally, I think of the cool water crossings that will be all but gone in a matter of weeks. August & there is still water in Barton Creek... feel like I have to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity.
Sure, I am out of shape & another hour + will be painful but those glorious dippings at the 3-4 crossings ahead get my tail back down the trail.

Distance: 15 miles
Duration: 2:14:37
Location: Barton Creek Greenbelt - Zilker Access
TOD: 7AM
Week's Total: 3:51:09
Month's Total: ?
Weather: 80 degrees at start; light clouds; high humidity

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can think of a few words to say but will refrain for the time being.

xomox said...

That's what kept me going from April through June; it was tough starting every workout in the pouring rain, but who knows if there will ever be the chance to run/ride/swim in 65° weather during a Texas summer again?

Water in the creek in August? Madness!

JohnF said...

You picked a cool race for this challenge. I was a little shocked when I stumbled across this page since Dano and I had a bet that after you took that desk job at the university you were gonna slack off and grow a pot-belly like mine, but I guess this means I'm gonna loose that bet. Happy trails.

dr mel said...

I'm glad I stumbled across your blog, Steve. It's nice to know that you struggle too with running at times. Just maybe this will motivate me enough to go for my 1st run in at least 3 weeks tonight...